2012 was a magical year for newportFILM and to be honest we have mild anxiety about living up to it’s glory! that said, we are also super excited about the opportunities to showcase all of the new documentaries we’ve been discovering along the way, to work with new sponsors, to elaborate on existing programs and to create more of our hallmark, memorable film events. but before we move forward let’s have one last glance back to pay tribute to an exceptional year.
take a moment to relive some of our favorite memories of 2012…
1. hosting ethel kennedy (and the K-clan) at our very special screening of ETHEL, written and directed by her gracious and talented daughter, rory.
2. building great new community relationships by partnering with so, so many amazing local organizations that continue to inspire us!
3. being a part of the newport america’s cup craze by showing environmental shorts under the america’s cup world series exploration zone tents and with our screening of gary jobson’s live-narrated THE HISTORY OF THE AMERICA’S CUP
4. showcasing more of newport’s strikingly beautiful outdoor venues during our summer-long KIRBY PERKINS CONSTRUCTION outdoor documentary series.
5. a personal serenade by rodriguez at our july screening of SEARCHING FOR SUGAR MAN… once in a lifetime.
6. having the ability to share moving, impactful and important environmental documentaries and create relevant dialogue with our community.
7. tim wakefield hosting a pitching clinic for the newport gulls camp kids at our screening of his doc, KNUCKLEBALL!
8. amazing media recognition, from the cover of the newport mercury to a generous 6-page spread in newport life magazine – we felt the love!
9. filling the lawn at the elms mansion garden with over 700 guests at the august outdoor screening of THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES.
10. feeling such strong support from aquidneck island schools (and beyond) for our screening of BULLY to introduce our in-school documentary program.
11. the charming chaos of the CHASING ICE screening at our most interesting, beautiful and daring venue yet – rose island!
12. UNDEFEATED winning the 2012 oscar for a documentary feature (and IF A TREE FALLS as one of the 5 nominated)
cross your fingers for the january 10 announcement of 2013’s oscar nominations! wishing a happy & healthy new year to all…